Housing Disrepair Claims

Housing Disrepair Claims. If having reported a housing issue to your landlord, the repairs have not been carried out within a reasonable or agreed timeframe, you may be entitled to make a claim for both compensation and to ensure that the required work is carried out by your landlord. A housing disrepair claim requires the issue with your property to be one that stops the property from being a safe, suitable, and healthy place

The majority of housing disrepair claims relate to:

  • Structural repair and maintenance
  • Damp and mould
  • Drains and gutters
  • Heating systems
  • Provision of electricity, gas, and water
  • Sanitation e.g. water supply, toilets, and sinks
  • Pest and insect problems

Your landlord is required to provide and maintain the above for all rented property regardless of whether the property is rented from a private landlord or provided by the local authority or housing association.

Your Rights and Housing Disrepair Claims

Click for Housing Disrepair Claim Submission form

Under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, all tenants with a short-term lease of fewer than 7 years or a periodic tenancy can expect their landlord to:

  • Keep the building in sound structural condition
  • Ensure the safe supply of water, gas, and electricity
  • Ensure the provision and maintenance of appliances providing heating and hot water

The Landlord and Tenant Act also states that a property must be fit for human habitation regarding but not limited to:

  • repair
  • stability
  • freedom from damp
  • internal arrangement
  • natural lighting
  • ventilation
  • water supply
  • drainage and sanitary conveniences
  • facilities for preparation and cooking of food and for the disposal of wastewater

The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 further states that all rented houses and flats need to be ‘fit for human habitation’ which means that they should be safe, secure, warm, and dry. A breach and subsequent failure to repair within a reasonable time can lead to a compensatory award for the distress and inconvenience and a court order for the repair work to be completed promptly and to the required level.

Lastly, under the Defective Premises Act 1972 your landlord is under a duty to take such care as is reasonable in all the circumstances to see that a tenant is reasonably safe from personal injury or from damage to their property caused by a defect to the property. This duty is owed if the landlord knows or ought to have known of the defect. 

How we can help

If your landlord, housing association, or local council has been made aware of issues you are having with any of the basic requirements set out above for a habitable property and has failed to rectify the issues complained of within a reasonable time frame, please contact us to see if you can make a claim.

We can help to not only request that the repairs and maintenance are carried out quickly and efficiently, but we will seek compensation for the stress and inconvenience you have suffered as a result of issues and the delay in the rectification works.

Funding your housing disrepair claim

While various funding options are available, we can deal with your claim on a ‘no win-no fee’ basis and unlike some other firms, we do not charge a success fee which ordinarily would be deducted from your damages. If your claim is successful, we will look to recover our costs from the landlord to ensure you get the maximum amount of damages possible

Get the help you need

To see how we can help with your housing disrepair claim get in touch with us today:

Housing Disrepair Claims