Housing Disrepair Claims FAQ

What will I need for a successful housing disrepair claim?

You will need to be able to provide evidence that:

  1. Your property suffers from defects that qualify as disrepair; and
  2. Your landlord knows of the defects to your property; and
  3. Your landlord has failed to rectify the defects within a reasonable time.

What defects qualify as disrepair to my property?

Any issues in relation to the following will be likely to qualify as disrepair:

  • Structural repair and maintenance
  • Damp and mould
  • Drains and gutters
  • Heating systems
  • Provision of electricity, gas, and water
  • Sanitation e.g. water supply, toilets, and sinks
  • Pest and insect problems
  • Ventilation
  • facilities for preparation and cooking of food and for the disposal of wastewater

When can I bring a claim?

You can bring a claim against your landlord, housing association, or local authority only after they have been notified of the defect and been given a reasonable time frame to respond and repair the issue to the required satisfactory level.

How long do I have to make a claim?

There is a six-year limitation period from the date that you first became aware of the need for repair or maintenance and reported such to your landlord. If you have not issued proceedings within this period then it is likely you will be time-barred from proceeding with your claim.

If you are claiming for personal injury as a result of a housing disrepair issue then you have three years to issue proceedings. The three-year period starts from the date the injury is suffered or the date of knowledge that an illness has been or may have been caused by the disrepair issue. This may not be straightforward and you should seek legal advice if you have any worries.

If it is a child that is injured then the three-year limitation period runs from their 18th birthday.

The courts have the discretion to extend the above limitation periods but only in exceptional circumstances.

What can I claim for?

If instructed, we would look to compel the landlord to carry out the repairs or maintenance works required under their legal obligations and look to ensure the works are carried out quickly and efficiently.

If appropriate we would also look to obtain compensation in relation to the inconvenience caused by the failure to repair the issues within a reasonable time frame.

What level of compensation could I claim?

The level of award will depend on the issues with the property and how long it takes for the landlord to rectify the issues.

If any of your personal possessions were damaged or destroyed as a result of a failure to repair and maintain the property then the repair or replacement cost can be added to your claim.

If you or a family member has sustained an injury as a result of the failure to repair then we can assist with a stand-alone personal injury claim for the injury as well as any financial losses that may have arisen as a result of your injury.

How much will it cost me to make my claim?

Nothing; your claim can be dealt with on a no win-no fee basis so that if the claim is not successful then you do not pay us for the work we have done. If your claim is successful we do not take any deduction or fixed fee from your compensation. Whatever you are awarded is what you receive.

How do I start my claim?

To see how we can help with your housing disrepair claim get in touch with us today:

Housing Disrepair Claims FAQ